Sunday, September 25, 2011

Changing Utah Demographics - Response to Eugene Anderson's Article

Changing Utah Demographics - Eugene Anderson's article helps me feel a little more hopeful and encouraged that I'm not so unique. You see, I'm a nontraditional ethnic minority student. I saw so much diversity and other non-traditional students while at SLCC. Here at the U of U I still see some diversity, but not as many non-traditional (older) students. Perhaps it's because most of them are commuter students. They come to class and leave immediately. I understand why.

In my fieldwork I see the invisible barriers and not so invisible barriers to higher education for potential refugee students. Refugees definitely fall under the category of minority and non-traditional students in higher education. I wonder how well Utah institutions of higher learning are meeting the needs of these students.

I've come across so many stories of educated, intelligent, and ambitious refugees that are immediately discouraged after speaking with an advisor up here at the U of U or another university here in Utah. They are told that little or none of their credits transfer and they have to start all over again. Doctors, nurses, microbiologists, accountants, and engineers are some examples I've seen. They are so grateful for the opportunity to be here in the U.S., but the barriers they encounter while striving to continue their higher education are formidable. They feel as if the promise of a better life free from persecution is merely a mirage. They are stuck in dead end jobs that require that they work two jobs to survive. This is, of course, not conducive to attending classes and earning a degree.

I know there are success stories out there. I've attended classes with some of them. I even celebrated commencement with one or two, but it seems there are too many factors working against success. Don't we see the merits of having an educated diverse workforce? I feel passionately that the shortsighted focus to only get minimal employment secured for refugees is detrimental to long term success. I realize that they only have months to assimilate, learn English, and become self sufficient. But I see so much potential unrealized.

Higher education is an Ivory Tower to many of us; literally a shining building in the tops of the mountains. I admit as a migrant workers daughter I still feel intimidated, as if I'm an imposter, and someday they'll figure out I really don't belong up here. I'm grateful to serve our refugee community. I hope that I can open doors and provide guidance as a job development intern at CCS. I hope that I can be a good example of overcoming barriers of my own by completing my degree.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. What theoretical perspective could help explain why credits from foreign universities don't "transfer"?

    ReplyDelete